8.01.2010

celebration weekend.

To celebrate hitting my deadline w/the Chuck chapter and Ph.D. application, I shopped until I pretty much dropped yesterday. After breakfast at Target (and returning a dress = +$12?), I spent about $50 there (another dress, cat litter, earrings, lactaid, scarf, etc.). Then, I hit Gordman's to return a top there (+$12?). From there, I went to Savers around noon (missing lunch, really) and spent $60 with a 30% off coupon (many, many items including a lace dress, two pairs of heels, old school Wranglers, silky top, etc. etc.). I was on a roll with using coupons, so I went to the Plato's Closet strip mall and spent $5 at the shop next door (pokadotted vintage top) then $40 at Plato's w/a 20% coupon (Big Star jeans + across-the-body grey PVC bag)... then Clothes Mentor ($20 on Kenzie boots and a pink V-neck tee).

Today, after breakfast, I went to Old Navy. Haven't been there in MONTHS. Found a really great green top (very flattering color for me & my hair color) + navy shorts... $20 w/$10off coupon. I highly doubt I will need to do any back-to-school shopping since I have two shipments coming in from Alloy.com and UrbanOutfitters.com next week.
I've noticed that it isn't about how much I spend, it's the amount (and quality). Spending $60 at Savers seems like a lot since I get a truckload of stuff, but I used to spend that without thinking at the Gap on two items. And the Savers stuff is of the same quality or better, usually.
I was telling my sister at breakfast that it's about having things in my closet that I love. I really need to go through and take out things on a constant basis. For example, I have this one Converse black cardigan that I wore to death last fall/winter. I love it. The other black cardigans I have are okay, but eh. Hopefully, I'll get to the point where everything in my closet is awesome & loved.

There are people doing The Great American Apparel Diet (I have the web site connected to my Google Reader). I think I could do that - not buy new for a year - but I like the idea too of "for everything that comes in your house, something has to go out" because if I got rid of the stuff I don't like and bought loveable clothes, I could go a year and just buy shoes. :o) Maybe. I doubt myself when it comes to my favorite stress-reliever. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment