7.08.2010

I used to be such a tomboy.

I want her long earring; don't you?
from That's Chic's blog.
from Slanelle's blog.

a 17-yr-old named Frida Johnson.
from FashionZen's blog.

The title of this blog is true. I just "friended" someone on FB who knew me pre-fashionblog... or basically knew me before I started really looking into style and all that. I wore big baggy jeans in high school, pretending to be a part of the Grunge/Alternative posse. I just wanted to fit in with a group that was supposed to be full of nonconformists; we, or they, conformed to that idea.

Anyhow, I didn't do leggings or dresses or mis-matching back then really. Purchasing&watching Sex & The City in graduate school changed all that. I wanted to channel Carrie Bradshaw... with my own twist on it, my own midwestern take that includes frugal shopping tactics. Like, ebay and secondhand stores. :o)

Frida Johnson, above, is on LookBook and ... I'm somewhat jealous; at 17, I didn't dress femininely whatsoever. That was the era I grew up in though, so I guess I can't change that. It's not like there were girls like her in my school who were fashionable; we all wore jeans and tees. The popular ones wore the more expensive stuff (and by that I mean Guess and Esprit and Express and Girbaud) versus Levis and Gap and Target... you know what I mean. Sixty dollar jeans versus $30... not $300 versus $30. It's North Dakota afterall; we didn't have access, pre-1995, to ebay and online stores. But that's true for most of the country... for most of the Fly-Over States anyhow.

I've said enough. Main point: It would be interesting to run into, physically, those who knew me "back then"... because I think I portray a different person now. Maybe?

1 comment:

  1. wonderful images!! i was drawn to your blog because i believe we both have the same name, sybil! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete